Steam & Innovation
What is STEAM?
STEAM is a process of engaging learners in project-based experiences across multiple disciplines with an emphasis on creativity and real-life application.
- Solve real-world problems
- Present to real audiences
- Develop soft skills
- Direct their own learning
“There’s a need in society for people to be able to learn on their own. We want to help students learn how to learn on their own without a recipe or cookie-cutter directions. We want them to design their own recipe for learning.” (Chris Gyr, Retired Founding Director of STEAM Learning & Innovation)
The district will promote the innovation of practice and new partnerships to enhance the PK-12 STEAM initiative at Genesee Valley CSD. This shall include the following:
- Improved integration of the Genesee Valley Innovation Center into
- The emphasis of Project-Based Instruction
- The integration of cross-curricular, interdisciplinary activities that
incorporate Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and
- The continued promotion of rigorous college credit bearing electives, CLEP and Advanced Placement courses.
The district will research and develop an evening or weekend Adult Education Program that offers the community opportunities to use the resources within the Genesee Valley Innovation Center.